I won't expand on Michael's excellent summary of using SASS, but he did
leave out one crucial bit -- it comes in two formats, which causes some
confusion.  The format that Michael was describing is the second one, SCSS,
which is basically CSS with some fancy nesting patterns that you can't do
natively in CSS, as well as variables and math functions. The original
format, SASS, omitted the {} braces and used a whitespace indenting style,
purposely emulating Ruby and Python in that regard. SCSS has the shorter
learning curve and, in fact, you can just use your usual CSS to get started
go on from there. In SASS, you have to refactor all your old CSS to the new
format, but my understanding is that there may be some things you can do in
SASS that you can't do in SCSS (not sure what, though).