Wow. Thanks Thomas. That helps a lot.

Looking over this, I started wondering if it might be possible to actually
trigger the relay using voltage from tablet's audio jack. I've seen people
do this with cell phones and camera flash triggers, although I doubt I can
get 5V DC out of the audio jack without amplifying it...or I find a relay
that can go off 600mV or whatever I can get from the jack.  I'm probably
stuck using an iPad, since my wife has one i can use to build the prototype
and iOS has a pretty good barcode reader library.

b,chris.