The number one tool I think a newbie coder should get is a cheapie online
webhosting account - like a $10 a month one - and multiple URLs.  Multiple
URLs will make them point a URL at a nameserver at least once ideally, and
to understand that the two are separate and what you can do with domains
and subdomains.  The cheapie webhosting account will let them play with
installing popular content management systems manually and with one-click
installs.  The most important thing is to break things and then rebuild
them.  The worst possible thing would be to build a website, leave it up as
their public face or personal website, and be nervous to wreck it so not
change or play with different CMSes (another reason multiple URLs might
psychologically be better - they encourage experimentation on one and the
person can make the other a static goal oriented publishing area).

The more the cheapie hosting account experience I have, the more I know
what's cheap and easy to do, and the more I see very specific benefits to a
dedicated server.  It makes me more intentional and able to better assess
the value of services vendors provide.

That's more web4lib ish, but ultimately if someone experiments enough they
have to get comfortable with php.  Scripting is the gateway drug.

-Wilhelmina Randtke