From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Andromeda Yelton
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] What is a "coder"?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> A coder is someone who writes code, naturally. :)  "code" is something
> intended to be interpreted or executed by a computer or a computer
program.

> I think everyone agrees that anyone is welcome at code4lib.

I agree with this *now that I am here*, but I did not know that it would be
the case in advance.

When people ask me to self-identify as a coder I get totally
deer-in-headlights and tend to not raise my hand unless told to do so
point-blank.  "What is a coder" is a great question but for the purposes of
diversity outreach "who self-identifies as a coder" (or technologist) is
more relevant, and I think that's a question where you're going to find
systematic demographic differences in the skillset required before people
are willing to say "me".

Andromeda