From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Phetteplace
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 1:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] jQuery Set data-mini Attribute For All Form Inputs

I think Gavin got this sorted out but I just wanted to clarify: the end goal is to add a "ui-mini" class to inputs here, not data-mini=true. The data attribute by itself does nothing. The jQuery Mobile framework uses data attributes to apply classes, among other things, so you can skip the intermediary step and go straight to the class. You don't need to edit the CSS with a rule like input[data-mini=true]; just use the class that's already there.

My advice to get rid of the $(document).ready() wrapper was poor because it means your code probably executes *before the input elements are even in the DOM *particularly if your script is in the head. If you for some reason have to use data-mini=true, you need to run your code *after* jQuery and the DOM has loaded but *before* jQuery Mobile uses all those data attributes to apply classes. Does that make sense? I'd just avoid this execution order headache and apply the class.

Also, Michael, your quote from the jQuery API is only about the getter usage of attr(); if handed only one parameter, attr() returns the value of the attribute for the first item in the selection e.g.
$('input').attr('data-mini') => 'true'. But in the setter version, attr( attribute, value ) sets attribute to value on *all *selected elements. Look at the first setter example on the API page where they set the title, src, and alt of three img tags at once by passing a map to attr().

Best,
Eric