Peter,

again I worry about this being self-selecting. People who report on
surveys are .... the people who report on surveys. A code4lib survey
would be nice, but I'm really interested in "on the ground" troops. And
I think the questions would have to be specific to what one does:

- installs and fixes equipment
- runs updates/backups on ILS
- writes scripts
- writes code
- manages local network
- modifies ILS tables for local customization
- creates web pages
- makes decisions on tech purchasing
- supervises staff that runs ILS/local network

Well, that's probably a stupid list, but a smarter list could be made.
In other words, I would want what you actually do to define whether you
are a techie -- not whether you consider yourself a techie (many women
demean their own skills -- "Oh, I just push a few buttons"). [1] I'd
like to see it be very broad, and later we can decide if we think
modifying ILS tables counts as being a "real techie."

kc
[1] For painful reading: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/28257411 The
letters of Ada Lovelace.

--