On 11/27/12 10:35 AM, Joe Hourcle wrote:
> I admit, I'm no expert on surveys (I tried doing one once for a class
> ... got shut down for an IRB violation as I said I'd share the results
> back with the organization we were surveying ... which is pretty sad,
> as the organization I was surveying was the library school itself) ...
> but you could do a much larger survey, trying to get all people who
> work in libraries, and ask questions about specific IT-related tasks
> that they might be doing, even if they don't self-identify as IT. Of
> course, then you might miss those of us who don't work in libraries,
> but who may identify with this group. ... and make sure that whoever
> does it isn't at an academic institution, to avoid that IRB crap. -Joe

Joe, what I was hoping for was not a survey where individuals report on
themselves, but a statistical sample of libraries where the library
reports on its staff. That avoid the "self-image" issue, and the
selection that individual reporting on self entails.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net