What do you mean by "suggest schema.org"?  The website schema.org
recommends using HTML5 microdata (which can use any vocabulary that has
a URI identifying it), along with suggesting a very basic vocabulary.

However, the vocabulary suggested by schema.org does not have terms for
the citation details in OpenURL COinS, including volume, issue, start
page -- or even including both an article title and a containing journal
title, I think. Although they have interestingly added a
"ScholarlyArticle" value to their 'type' vocabulary since last time I
looked, interesting, I hadn't known that.

So what vocabulary are you suggesting using with HTML5 microdata exactly?

And is there any useful consuming software that will use it? This is
after all why people embed bibliographic data in HTML, for useful
consuming software they want to support to consume it, not for fun.

If people are looking for vocabularies, the PRISM one is actually being
used by scholarly journal publishers (typically in their RSS/Atom
feeds), is _relatively_ simple, and is expressive enough to express
everything in COinS/scholarly OpenURL and more.  Since it is indeed
actually being used, and actually being used is what matters, it's the
most interesting one to me -- but I don't think anyone's published the
'right' way to use it in HTML5 microdata yet, and I don't think there is
any consuming software that will pick up PRISM in HTML5 microdata. Also
it's documentation isn't as straightforward as it could be, although the
vocabulary itself is fairly straightforward if you look at examples
instead of documentation.