On 11/20/2012 8:25 PM, Godmar Back wrote:
> Could you elaborate on your belief that COinS is "actually illegal in
> HTML5?" Why would that be so?

Yeah, thanks for calling me on that, I was wrong! Not sure where I got
that idea, but it does not seem to be illegal. (Did some earlier version
of HTML5 get rid of 'title attribute on every element'? Or was I just
confused?)

Perhaps what I was thinking of is that some people see an accessibility
issue in using the 'title' attribute for non-human-readable data, like
COinS does. As the title attribute theoretically provides extra
human-readable content that a user-agent can display in some cases, and
filling it with non-human-readable data may confuse people. I seem to
recall _someone_ complaining about a COinS title attribute on these
grounds in some app I develop, but I can't remember the details.

Here's others mentioning that potential problem:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microformat#Accessibility
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/06/removing_microformats_from_bbc.shtml

However, in practice, that seems to be a problem more likely, if at all,
with title attributes on <abbr> elements, not <span> elements like
COinS. If you google around, you find a lot of people complaining about
the reverse problem -- don't assume that adding a "title" attribute to
your <span> provides an accessible description (say, to visually
impaired users), because most assistive user-agents in fact ignore the
title attribute!

Still, it's kind of messy to use a title attribute for
non-human-readable purposes. And is a large part of the motivation for
HTML5 microdata.