+1 to Bess for raising the topic -- I'm onboard.

Jon's point is an important one.  Code4Lib does not have a formal structure, owner, or convening body.  Any power in the Code4Lib community is directly proportional to the collective will of the members of this community.  Therefore I think it is important to have a way for community members to register an endorsement of the policy/code-of-conduct.  That will be how the local meeting hosts and the IRC channel ops and the mailing list owners (all volunteers) are empowered to take action.

Here are a couple of ways to do it, along with some advantages and disadvantages:

 * Registering names on a wiki page:
   + Low overhead, account infrastructure not required
   - Subject to vandalism and false signatures

 * Sign by forking the GitHub repo:
   + Good for version control (a particular version is signed)
   + Fork appearing on GitHub repo list keeps commitment in the forefront of signer's mind
   - Requiring signers to have a GitHub account may not be realistic

 * Create a lightweight signing app on Code4Lib.org
   + Lighter weight account registration requirement than GitHub
   - Requires someone to create app
   - Signers must sign up for a code4lib.org account; overhead for code4lib.org administrators

Peter

--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.