I joined OCLC on the team that implemented it, just as the project was winding down. I brought it up more as a cautionary tale rather than a serious suggestion; the problem isn't that no one has looked into the file format problem -- the problem is that too many have approached it, without coming to a compelling combination of "rough consensus and running code." [1]

-- Steve

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Clark