I would disagree that sysadmin/network admin  types are considered less geeky, it's just that coders and sysadmins speak completely different languages, tend not to trust each other, and are generally working against one another (since they have different goals). Bess's "Werewolves vs. Vampires" presentation a couple years ago explained this well.

But that doesn't mean that A) we don't have a lot to learn from each other B) one group gets to claim the title of "geek" over the other C) shouldn't all congregate under the same tent (whether that be Code4Lib or wherever).

-Ross.