I also think that DevOps topics (e.g., puppet, chef, virtual machines) have always been of interest to this community, and that the line between "sysadmin" and "systems librarian" and "software engineer" and "ARCHITECT" can be a little arbitrary. Many of us work in jobs only loosely tied to our official job description, let alone the thing we studied. I recognize my fellow code4libber in every person who is trying to hold the information systems of a library together in some way. ESPECIALLY the ones who don't get recognized because "that should only be x% of your job"[1].

I don't think we can really afford to be snobs about anything around here. If you are interested in "the depth and longevity of the problems that need to be addressed[2]" by library software, and have concluded that our community's approach to that problem solving effort appeals to you and you would like to contribute to it in some way, you are welcome here.

Many code4libbers do not write code (yet). They deploy it, or they maintain it, or they customize it, or they tweak it. It's okay, that counts too.

Bess

[1] Although I sure did talk on #code4lib irc more when I had a Friday afternoon reference shift!
[2] How to Hack code4lib: http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/How_to_hack_code4lib