Thought process of a coder:
1- I need to open a file in my program
2- ok, I'll import IO into my application and read the definition
3- i create methods and functions around the definition and open my file
Total time to deliver code: 5 mins

Thought process of a non-coder
1- I need to open a file in my program
2- I open up a web browser and go to google
3- search "open file in java"
4- copy/paste the code I find
5- can't figure out why it doesn't work, go back to step 3 and try a different person's code
6- really stuck, contemplates changing the programming language
7- runs some searches on easier programming languages
8- goes back to Google and tries new search terms and gets different results
9- finally get it working
10- remove all comments from the copy/paste code so it looks like I wrote it.
Total time to deliver code: 5 hours

Michael Friscia
Manager, Digital Library & Programming Services

Yale University Library
(203) 432-1856