I've been following along on this and finally got my thoughts together to chime in.

In my career I've done DBA duties, sys admin tasks, scripting, requirements gathering, documentation writing, standards wrangling, policy setting, and more digitization than you can shake a stick at. And I've done that for 25 years, all in museums, libraries and archives. As a woman. And now I'm the chief of a group that implements tools to support the acquisition, preservation, and sharing of digital collections.

But I'm not a "coder." Does that mean I'm not welcome or part of the community?

No.

Sure, there are many code4lib conversations that I am just not part of because I don't deal with the intricacies of the writing of software.  There are many talks at code4lib that I would not get a lot out of for the same reason.  As a manager I don't have much time to actively participate.  I don't much hack on things any more.  (And sometimes when I do, the people I work with say "Why don't you let us do that..." <gr>)

But I do get something out of code4lib. I hear what the issues are that the community is writing tools to deal with.  I hear about new approaches. And I meet people, even if it's often just virtually.

And I am not an uncommon type of person. At least not in the code4lib community.