Hi John,

I don't know what your level of technical skills are, and if stylesheets are your preferred tool, that's totally fine.  You can probably ignore this.

I would approach this problem a bit differently, mostly because I'm terrible at stylesheets.  I'm guessing that your pbcore documents are going to be more complex than the marc records you want to generate from them.  I would try something like parsing the pbcore xml to extract what fields I want, and then create the marc record from them.  For example, my tool of choice nowadays is Ruby, so I would parse the xml with xpath queries using Nokogiri, gathering the fields I want, do any data transformations as needed, and then shove the fields into a marc record using Ruby-Marc.

Crosswalking with an intermediate schema might do just as well.  I'm just throwing this out as an alternative.  Also, I'm sure there are similar tools in other languages such as Python, Perl, Java, etc.  To each his own...  I only suggest a different strategy to solve the problem.

Hope it helps.

best,

...adam

Adam Wead | Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME + MUSEUM
Library and Archives
2809 Woodland Avenue | Cleveland, Ohio 44115-3216
216-515-1960 | FAX 216-515-1964
Email: [log in to unmask]
Follow us: rockhall.com | Membership | e-news | e-store | Facebook | Twitter

On Nov 5, 2012, at 2:15 PM, john passmore wrote:

> Hi,
> Before I start reinventing the wheel, does anyone know of any stylesheets
> out there that convert PBCore 2.0 XML <http://pbcore.org> to MARC
> XML<http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml/>?
>
> Thanks!
> John
> WNYC Archives

This communication is a confidential and proprietary business communication. It is intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s). If this communication is received in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication.