John,

To put a final piece on this jigsaw, I would also note that if you want to generate schema-to-schema stylesheets, especially for complex formats like MARCXML, in a user-friendly way, you could do worse than MINT:

http://mint.image.ece.ntua.gr/redmine/projects/mint/wiki/Mint

I am currently working with the developers of MINT and I'm happy to put you in touch.

You might need some developer resource to implement a MARC21 instance, but there may be one out there and/or the newer open source release may allow you to specify source schema directly.

I can't imagine that the need to map from X to MARC21 is that uncommon... probably why there's also http://www.extensiblecatalog.org/

Cheers,

Michael