Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> What do you mean by "suggest schema.org"?

I'm suggesting Schema.org as a cross-domain extensible vocabulary that that can be (but doesn't have to be) embedded in HTML (e.g. via Microdata <http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/>  and/or RDFa <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-lite/>  attribute annotations). That same Schema.org vocabulary also happens to be suitable for “raw” serialization as RDF/XML, Turtle, N-Triples, JSON-LD, etc.

In terms of vocabulary, Schema.org is “extensible” via several mechanisms including mashups with other vocabularies or, ideally, direct integration into the Schema.org namespace such as we’ve seen with RNews <http://blog.schema.org/2011/09/extended-schemaorg-news-support.html> , JobPostings <http://blog.schema.org/2011/11/schemaorg-support-for-job-postings.html> , and GoodRelations <http://blog.schema.org/2012/11/good-relations-and-schemaorg.html> . This is a win/win scenario, but it requires communities to prove they can articulate a sensible set of extensions and deliver the information in that model. Within the “bibliographic” community, this is the mandate set for the http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/ group. If you are disappointed with OpenURL metadata formats, poor support for COinS, and disappointing probabilities for content resolution, here’s your chance for leveraging SEO for those purposes.

As part of the WorldCat.org Linked Data initiative, we prototyped some basic Schema.org extensions in the http://purl.org/library namespace. These serve as proof-of-concept for the more community-based Schema Bib Extension group. The current set of “library” extensions don’t include very many journal-oriented terms like volume, issue, start page, but that’s mainly because WorldCat.org doesn’t include very much article-level data, not that these aren’t within scope of the group’s extension efforts.

> And is there any useful consuming software that will use it?

As mentioned above, the Schema.org vocabulary is fully-compatible with Linked Data/RDF, which means that Linked Data/RDF tools should be able to deal with it. I’m not familiar with any Microdata parsers, but RDFa parsers and “distiller” services are available such as http://www.w3.org/2012/pyRdfa/#distill_by_input and http://www.w3.org/2012/pyRdfa/#distribution.

Jeff