I've been involved in running library/tech unconferences in the UK (the Mashed Library events http://mashedlibrary.com). For the second event (organised by Dave Pattern and others at the University of Huddersfield) we put together a very short list of things you could expect to get out the event (http://mashlib09.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/event-info-why-come-to-mashed-libary/) - the idea being these were things that could go on requests to attend the event.

More recently we realised there was a lot of interest from staff on the cataloguing/metadata side of libraries to attend a more 'tech' oriented event but that institutions were often limiting the number of people who could attend, and it was these staff who often lost out as the event was judged to be more appropriate for others. Working with Tom Meehan at UCL and Celine Carty at the University of Cambridge (and others) we were able to put on an event that while still attracting tech staff was also squarely aimed at getting cataloguers/metadata people along - and this definitely worked in terms of the make up of attendees of that particular event.

All of which is a preamble to saying - it might be worth putting together either a theoretical list, or direct testimonials, from people who have attended the conference in the past, ideally from a variety of library roles, with what they can/did get out of the conference. This could provide much needed evidence when applying to attend/travel?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com