This is interesting.  They actually had a male entertainer on stage in
velcro pants, then speedo and boots, at the WestLaw reception at
the American Association of Law Libraries annual meeting this year.
Apparently that's not uncommon for the WestLaw reception.  At the North
American Serials Interest Group meeting, the mens room in the conference
area was closed and converted to a women's room for the duration of the
conference.  So that's three national library conferences I went to this
past year, and two of them had a major anti-male sexist event.  (ALA did
not have strippers, and provided male restrooms.  Kudos!)

I think maybe in librarianship in general, there is some trying to turn
this around and use the same sexist advertising, but marginalize men
instead.

(Of course, if the crowd being boozed with male stripper on stage makes
significantly less money than the crowd accepting fliers from college girls
in skimpy clothes, then this may not be a loss for men.  Fake poor people
culture is popular now with the hipsters, but no one wants poor people
culture, if it involves actually having less money.)

When you strike langauge about sexual imagery, you might should rethink
that.  I get enough spam male ads about male genital enlargement, that I
suspect men would tend to be intimidated and feel excluded when male 6
packs are prominently displayed in areas where men are outnumbered.
Whether it's young women in underwear, or athletic men in underwear, could
we agree that it's inappropriate?

-Wilhelmina Randtke