The only difference between COinS and a full OpenURL is the addition of a link resolver address. Most databases that provide OpenURL links directly (rather than simply COinS) use some profile information - usually set by the subscribing library, although some based on information supplied by an individual user. If set by the library this is then linked to specific users by IP or by login.

There are a couple(?) of generic base URLs you can use which will try to redirect to an appropriate link resolver based on IP range of the requester, with fallback options if it can't find an appropriate resolver (I think this is how the WorldCat resolver works? The 'OpenURL Router' in the UK definitely works like this)

The LibX toolbar allows users to set their link resolver address, and then translates COinS into OpenURLs when you view a page - all user driven, no need for the data publisher to do anything beyond COinS

There is also the 'cookie pusher' solution which ArXiv uses - where the user can set a cookie containing the base URL, and this is picked up and used by ArXiV (http://arxiv.org/help/openurl)

Owen

PS it occurs to me that the other part of the question is 'what metadata should be included in the OpenURL to give it the best chance of working with a link resolver'?

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: [log in to unmask]