Hi all, many thanks to Gail for taking minutes at our call last wednesday, November 7. I posted them to the wiki and they are below:
http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Content_WG_November_7,_2012_Meeting_Minutes
(minus the attendee list, which is at my desk at LC -  I'm teleworking today). I will add names to the wiki tomorrow; wanted to get these out to you sooner than later so I don't forget!

-----------------------
Upcoming Presentations about our work: BPE presentation & Archive-IT and other presentations

Pay attention to NDSA-All list: NDSA-All can help inform, coordinate conference presentations. Butch has slides that anyone can incorporate into their presentations so that there is at least a brief mention of the NDSA work.

BPE: Best Practices Exchange conference panel was created out of just such a call on the NDSA-All list. Content Working Group also has a presentation there. May share case studies.

Anybody can use this listserv to find conferences appropriate for presentations on NDSA and/or preservation, topics, co-presenters, etc. See Outreach Toolkit on the wiki: http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Outreach_Toolkit

Archive-it partners are meeting just before BPE. Abbie will be talking about the NDSA archiving survey at that meeting.

Content Team reports

Previously distributed:

Geospatial Content Team: Working to address sustainability solutions for the geopreservation.gov resource. Exploring opportunities to engage with the geospatial industry through invited speakers. Upcoming, a presentation by Wayne Graham of the University of Virginia's Scholars' Lab Exploring and sharing partner geospatial collection development policies

Social sciences Team: We posted examples of "How to provide guidance and assessment on the life of data. Not all data are meant to be kept forever." There is a Google Doc that will be transferred or linked from the NDSA wiki.

The Science, Mathematics, Technology and Medicine content team met on September 24 to discuss the development of content case studies. We've prepared two drafts, one for forums and one for blogs, and plan to meet November 8 to discuss any further revisions. These drafts, as well as our meeting notes, are posted on the wiki. I would also like to note that we've added a new member to our content team, Jennifer Harbster from LC.

The Arts and Humanities Team had their first meeting on September 26th and are now working on brainstorming potential case studies and defining a model specifically for arts and humanities case studies. The group is hoping to meet again in the end of November where we'll revisit our brainstorm and discuss collaboration opportunities with the Cultural Heritage Group. Our September meeting minutes are available for download on the Arts and Humanities Content Team page on the NDSA Wiki. Gail Truman is now a co-facilitator with the Arts and Humanities Team.

Cultural Heritage Team: We discussed the advisability of closer collaboration with the Arts and Humanities Team, facilitated by Jonathan McGlone. We compiled our documents associated with the case study, and concluded from the last CWG phone conference that a broader approach may be advisable, and would seem to make closer cooperation with Arts & Humanities likewise advisable. The two teams have been in contact since that time. A&H has recently met and has taken an approach to divide up their mandate by topic, whereas Cultural Heritage has focused on the mode of oral history across topical areas. Discussions between A&H and Cultural Heritage continue.

Glenn from Government Content Group described four pending case studies (from follow email):

* Develop a list of commonly used electronic formats that are ranked according to three levels of preservation and access quality for each format type (video, audio, text, photo, etc.) that can aid in the development of effective transfer guidelines.

* Developed a list of agreed upon functional requirements for selecting preservation software based on the OAIS Reference model and serving governments at various levels

* Provide sample preservation policy statements that can be used by government institutions with a similar environment.

* Provide studies of appraisal rationale and methods that facilitate the transfer of records in preservation ready and accessible formats by making records creators aware of preservation needs.

Eric Rau from Cultural Heritage Team:

Will attend an historical conference this fall; not the usual attendees-no librarians, archivists. Planning a panel or roundtable where librarians and archivists will discuss the history of technology. Wants to reach out to users of repositories to make them aware of digital preservation, agenda, requirements. Asked if other Content teams were talking about reaching out to user groups through conferences. Newspaper Team has talked about publishers and press associations is a target audience.

Science, Medicine, ... Team is also looking at reaching out to practitioners to communicate best practices; also to scholars who are using this content in their research to convey the value of the information to historical research.

SHOT (society for history of technology) will hold a conference in 2013 in Portland, Maine, March deadline. What have been people's experiences at non-library/archive conferences, like this?

South by Southwest was a similar experience. MIT press editor tweeted. Getting on the program is just the beginning. Then "hand to hand combat:" have postcards to hand out personally. Swslams: happy hour, meet and greet, another way to spread the word.

Museums SIG (special interest group) for SHOT doesn't directly address these issues but he wants to get libraries and archives in the game.

Butch: meet-up software could help set up a f2f meeting that would engage people. Meet at a restaurant, coffee shop, bar for informal networking. Good for any conference.

Case Studies discussion

Christie Moffatt, NLM. "Science, Medicine, Mathematics, Technology Blogs" has 2 drafts on wiki. Still refining and developing. Available for feedback. One for Blogs by professionals (scientists, physicians) about Science, Math... She went through http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Content_Case_Studies

Similar to the News case studies. Could there be shared language and links?

Arts/Humanities case studies: collecting ideas for case studies, so common language would be useful.

Cathy: team of editors might help standardize the presentations. But get the ideas down first. Abbie: there are no rules yet. Cathy: values are good. Examples are a great idea.

Christie's 2nd blog: Science Forums Case Study. Trevor had a lot to do with this draft. Her team will now attempt to unify the forums and blogs, e.g., audiences, opportunities, etc. Are other teams looking at discussion forums? Similar to blogs, professionals and nonprofessionals blogging. Meeting tomorrow.

Cathy: once in good order, post across groups and then to NDSA-ALL for broader feedback.

Template was a good starting point, but seeing real examples--these drafts, is even more helpful.

Abbie: News Team has 3 case studies. Eprints is the most mature, Citizen Journalism, and Community and Hyperlocal News. Cathy: we need to add examples, which will be particularly helpful to reviewers outside NDSA. Abbie: work more on why important, like Christie's group did.

Abbie: will create link on wiki to all case studies [Done - see links on http://www.loc.gov/extranet/wiki/osi/ndiip/ndsa/index.php?title=Content_Working_Group#Activity_Charters and feel free to link to others as they become available!]

Cathy: next call will be determined by a Doodle poll. {Set after the meeting: it will be January 16, 2013 at 11am ET}

Abbie Grotke | Web Archiving Team Lead | Office of Strategic Initiatives
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program | Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/ | http://www.digitalpreservation.gov<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/>
202-707-2833 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | @agrotke