The past week or so I've been struggling to understand the reason for the
strong opinions against a women's support group as a subbranch of code4lib
or as an external entity. One argument is the reverse discrimination
argument.  I'm not sure how many have actually been making this argument
but it has definitely been made by some. I have little sympathy for this
argument. Perhaps it makes logical sense when the situation is looked at in
a very narrow perspective, but in the larger view which takes account of
social context and history, it loses validity. And I don't think that
reverse discrimination is the true concern of most of those that have
voiced opinions against a sub-community for women (at least I hope not).

Others have mentioned they fear that a subgroup will only decrease the
diversity within code4lib by pulling women away from it and into the new
group.  This was my initial concern as well, but when I look at other kinds
of women in tech groups I realize that they don't decrease women's
participation in mainstream groups. In fact they help boost women's
profiles and skill sets, thus increasing their likelihood of participating
in mainstream groups.

I may be way off base here, but I think there is also something else going
on besides those first two concerns. I think there is also a collective
fear of shame and failure.  I think many of the white males in this
community truly are sensitive to issues of equality and they want to show
their support by making code4lib a place known for supporting diversity and
equality. When a group which feels treated as less than equals creates a
support group for themselves that creates public shame for the original
group for failing to achieve its goals of equality. What's more, the idea
of a splinter group came so soon on the heels of the original thread about
the anti-harassment policy. The policy suggestion received a very large and
very immediate showing of support from the community. So splintering now
just as the community is showing what it can do to support diversity and
equality is particularly frustrating.

I can sympathize with those feelings.  But perhaps the support shown last
week was simply too little too late. Especially considering that there are
those still  pressing the first argument mentioned and making the situation
uncomfortable. And since I am not a member of the group that has been
discriminated against I don't think I or anyone else not in that group
should try to dissuade them from doing what is in their best interest.

Joshua Gomez
Digital Library Programmer Analyst
George Washington University Libraries
2130 H St, NW Washington, DC 20052