And, sorry for being annoying, but some things were pointed out to me
in #code4lib, so I'm issuing yet another followup.

1) the technique freenode uses for cloaks isn't as strong as it used
to be.  Also, it's possible to accidentally log in without a cloak,
etc. Don't expect them to be very secure.

2) There's ways to get a cloak without financial contribution.  How
exactly to do this I leave as an exercise to the reader.  I never
really worried about it too much, the cloak was just a perk when I
made the donation.

3) Apparently most web clients will pass on the browser ip, not the
server ip address.  So don't count on that to make you anonymous.

So the general thrust is, if you really, really need anonymous
communication, be wary of irc.  However, in general people usually
respect the nicks from my experience and won't press people for their
actual identities.

Also, as mentioned before, most irc servers/channels are not encrypted
and pretty easy to log.

Jon Gorman