On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It seems to me it might be helpful if the actual incidents were related in
> some anonymous way (perhaps anonymous both to reporter and to 'offenders'
> involved)... because if the rest of us knew what was going on, we could be
> more alert to seeing it and stopping it (including possibly observing such
> behavior in ourselves and stopping ourselves for doing it, now that we
> realize how hurtful it can be)...
>
> ...But honestly, I've been scratching my head since Bess first brought
> this up, and Bess mentioned that harrasment-y incidents have happened at
> code4lib, and I'm thinking "Really? I haven't heard of them or seen them.
> Am I just really unobservant? Or am I seeing things but not realizing they
> are offensive? Or what?"
>
> I think it would be helpful to all of us wanting to stop such things from
> happening to know a _bit_ more specifically what sorts of things have
> happened.

Agreed.

I can't convey how disappointed I am to hear some of these things. Crap
like this doesn't happen in normal environments, and I won't hang out
anyplace where a huge percentage of my friends and colleagues wouldn't feel
welcome. If I'm really so clueless that I'm part of the problem and am too
boneheaded to realize it, I hope those who know me will have the decency to
set me straight.

kyle