The best "generic" format is probably RIS. It's simple and everyone reads
it.

For export to Refworks, I actually use the "Refworks tagged
format<http://www.refworks.com/rwathens/help/RefWorks_Tagged_Format.htm>"
-- it's at least as expressive as other tagged formats (RIS, Endnote, etc.)
and allows more "types" (conference proceeding, book, etc.).

I've attached two files (or, at least, I hope they're attached; not sure
what the mailing software will do) that are simple YAML files specifying
the mappings that I use, if you want to start there. It's pretty easy to
see from the YAML files how to write the code to produce the actual export
files.

Let me know if you improve them :-)

--
Bill Dueber