FWIW, the folks at Harvard's Library Innovation Lab have an instance
of the software behind HackerNews specifically for library stuff.
http://news.librarycloud.org/

It's been pretty pretty low traffic, but the infrastructure's there
and I'm sure we'd be welcome.

Also, lobst.er's looks like it might be my next destination when hn's
signal/noise ratio gets unbearable.... Wish someone would fork the hn
android app so that it'll work with arbitrary arc-based fora...

-Corey

--
Corey A Harper
Metadata Services Librarian