Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]>
> On 12/4/2012 12:10 PM, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Really? I hoped if I wanted to do serious hacking, I could clone it on
> > git.software.coop and send a pull request.  If you use github *and
> > insist everyone else does* then you lose all the decentralised networked
> > collaboration benefits of git and it becomes a worse-and-better CVS.
>
> A "pull request" is a feature of github.com.  There is no feature of
> git-the-software called "a pull request".

I don't think that's correct.  GitHub was only launched in April 2008,
but here's a pull request from 2005:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0507.3/0869.html

Here's the start of the relevant page in the git software manual:

[quote]
NAME
       git-request-pull - Generates a summary of pending changes

SYNOPSIS

DESCRIPTION
       Summarizes the changes between two commits to the standard output, and
       includes the given URL in the generated summary.
[/quote]

> Which of course doens't stop you from sending an email requesting a
> pull. A "pull", including from decentralized third party repos, is a
> feature of git.

It sucks that github doesn't accept emails of such git pull requests
and do anything useful with them.  Ignoring the huge potential of
email coordination seems like missing a big feature of git.

> But yes, if you get used to the features of a particular free service,
> you get locked into that particular free service. [...]

If one is locked in, that means it has an exit cost, so it's no longer
a free service.  The piper might just not need payment yet.

Hope that explains,