On 12/18/12 7:51 AM, Tim Donohue wrote:
>  It's not trying to block other minority issues from being discussed,
> or turn away other minority groups or even majority groups (men).

I want to thank everyone for being so thoughtful in this discussion. I
do, however, want to make one factual point: women, per se, are not a
minority. In fact, in the general population, we are a slight majority.
[1] In libraries, of course, we are by far the majority. We are the
minority in technology in general. It is NOT clear to me (yet) that we
are an actual minority in library technology -- we simply do not know
unless we do a count. It may be that male dominance in that area is an
assumption rather than a fact. I say this as someone who worked in a
library technology project that, over 20 years, was from 2/3 to 3/4
female, yet the men were considered "techies" and the women were... just
there, even though they were coding and being DBAs, etc. We see what we
have trained our eyes and minds to see (all of us, not just men). The
study that Rosalyn did showed that women are less likely to consider
themselves part of c4l than men, and I would bet that many do not
consider themselves as "techie" as men in their environment. Note also
there was a somewhat strong reaction to the statistic of 42% female
(which we still cannot confirm or disprove) because it was unexpected.
What if, just what if, there are more women in this field than we've
thought?

Knowing that women are not a minority actually makes the entire "woman
question" more difficult because it requires one to think about
inequality, not numbers. Inequality is the actual issue with many if not
all of the groups that we refer to as minorities. Note that in many
countries, the ruling group is statistically a minority, and the "less
equal" group is in the majority. (And we may get there by 2060 if the
population predictions are correct.) In summary, it's just not a numbers
question. It's something much harder than that.

kc
[1] http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf  (49.1
male/50.9 female, most recent US census)

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net