You know how you figure out the answer right after you write out the
question?

autocomplete="false" didn't work, because that's not the proper value.

autocomplete="off" does work. While also of course disabling actual
auto-complete, which may or may not be helpful, but at least it keeps
Chrome from doing this weird thing where it remembers your entry on
browser back button when it ought not to.