Shaun,

I, too, hunger for a discussion area that has more staying power than a
bunch of emails. That said, I'm just not sure I've got the bandwidth for
yet another place to go. I am waiting for the day when someone invents
something awesome that will make email look like the Model-T that it is,
but if it's out there it sure hasn't gotten traction. (as mentioned
here: Google Wave, et al.)

So, with you in theory, if not in practice. :-)

kc

On 12/3/12 8:34 AM, Shaun Ellis wrote:
> [...]
>> people taking advantage of reddit to do their own thing.
>>
>> Reddit's UI makes it easy for these subreddits to stay completely
>> separate, there's really little in the UI that brings people from one
>> area of reddit to another or makes them end up 'combined'.
>>
>> I believe that there are many sub-communities on reddit that do not have
>> this misogyny problem, even if reddit's "brand" has sadly become known
>> for misogyny. I could be wrong, but I'd suggest finding out by asking
>> friends of yours that are redditors (or finding out if friends of yours
>> are redditors, heh), rather than assuming based on media reports that
>> anything on reddit is doomed.  Mainstream media is not very good at
>> covering virtual communities, even still.
>>
>> That said, I still don't think a Code4Lib subreddit is likely to become
>> a particularly useful idea, I think it's unlikely to ever achieve
>> 'critical mass' (It has been tried before, there's both a code4lib and a
>> libraries subreddit that have existed for quite a while without
>> significant uptake, aren't there?)
>>
>> On 12/2/2012 1:44 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:
>>> *sigh* From an article about sexual harassment on reddit:
>>>
>>> "Reddit is a notoriously male-dominated forum. According to Google's
>>> DoubleClick Ad Planner, Reddit users in the U.S.
>>> <https://www.google.com/adplanner/site_profile#siteDetails?uid=domain%253A%2520Reddit.com&geo=001&lp=false>
>>>

>>> are 72 percent male. Reddit subgroups include r/mensrights and the
>>> misogynistic r/chokeabitch, perhaps in part prompting another popular
>>> thread that asked recently, "Why is Reddit so anti-women?"
>>> <http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/x5oac/why_is_reddit_so_antiwomen_outside_of_rgonewild/>
>>>

>>> In April, a confused 14-year-old user took to the site in a desperate
>>> attempt to seek advice after she had been sexually assaulted
>>> <http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/smbgv/i_think_i_might_have_been_raped_on_420please_help/>.
>>>

>>> Jezebel chronicled the backlash, as commenters attacked the young
>>> victim
>>> for overreacting
>>> <http://jezebel.com/5904323/reddit-is-officially-the-worst-possible-place-for-rape-victims-to-seek-advice>.
>>>

>>> Given its reputation, the site may seem less than appropriate as a
>>> forum
>>> for effective dialogue."[1]
>>>
>>> Which doesn't mean that we should boycott reddit, but it is good to
>>> know
>>> the make-up and culture of tools that you use. And I think I have
>>> yet to
>>> find a thread on ANY TOPIC on slashdot that doesn't have the word
>>> "tits"
>>> in it somewhere. I just read the post about the possible move to a $1
>>> coin in the US, and the first post is about strippers. FIRST POST.
>>>
>>> *sigh* Although perhaps the question now is: which will happen first -
>>> acceptance of a $1 coin in the US or a Slashdot thread that isn't

>>> [1]

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net