On 12/3/12 8:23 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> I believe that there are many sub-communities on reddit that do not
> have this misogyny problem, even if reddit's "brand" has sadly become
> known for misogyny. I could be wrong, but I'd suggest finding out by
> asking friends of yours that are redditors (or finding out if friends
> of yours are redditors, heh), rather than assuming based on media
> reports that anything on reddit is doomed.  Mainstream media is not
> very good at covering virtual communities, even still.

Jonathan, this is one of those areas where I expect that women and men
will make different decisions, and those decisions will affect the
quality and diversity of participation. I think of it as the "dark
alley" syndrome: it doesn't matter if the dark alley in front of you
*might* be safe; it's still a very scary place. I wouldn't expect women
to go onto a service with a bad reputation, with the option to leave
after something horrible happens to them. That wouldn't make any more
sense than going into the dark alley, and leaving after you've been
mugged. I wouldn't ask or advise any of my friends to enter dark alleys.
I don't think it's worth the risk, even if the risk is relatively low.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net