The problem is that the listserv is not good for brainstorming.
Expecting any one person to have a fully baked solution (with hosting)
before posting to the list is not going to happen.  That's why I
suggested an alternative discussion tool with the vote2promote feature.

I also suggested the mentorship program as a way to get people to give
back a little bit while also getting guidance.  It's not going to happen
overnight, but if anyone's interested in either being a mentor or
mentee, sign up for the RailsBridge pre-conf.  Again, it's not fully
baked, but those who are interested can discuss it off list to brainstorm.

-Shaun

On 12/4/12 11:38 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> While I agree with ross in general about suggesting technical solutions
> without suggesting how they are going to be maintained -- agree very
> strongly -- and would further re-emphasize that it's improtant to
> remember that ALL software installations are "living organisms"
> (Ranganthan represent!), and need ongoing labor not just initial install
> labor....
>
> I don't agree with the conclusion that the _only_ way to do this is with
> a "central organization" or "my organization which has shown
>   commitment through z"
>
> I think it IS possible to run things sustainably with volunteer
> decentralized not-formal-organization labor.
>
> But my experience shows that it _isn't_ likely to work with ONE PERSON
> volunteering.  It IS more likely to work with an actual defined
> collective, which feels collective responsibility for replacing
> individual members when they leave and maintaining it's collective
> persistence.
>
> Is that foolproof? No.  But it doens't make it foolproof to incorporate
> and have a 'central organization' (still need labor, paid or unpaid), or
> to have an existing organization that commits to it (can always change
> their mind, or not fulfill their commitments even without actually
> changing their mind). There are plusses and minuses to both.
>
> I am a firm believer in code4lib's dentralized volunteer
> community-not-organization nature.  I may be becoming a minority, it
> seems like everyone else wants code4lib to be Official?  There are
> plusses and minuses to both.
>
> But either way, I don't think "officiality" is EITHER neccesary NOR
> sufficient to ensure sustainability of tech projects (or anything else).
>
> But i fully agree with rsinger that setting up a new tech project
> _without_ thinking about ongoing sustainability is foolhardy, unless
> it's just a toy you don't mind if it disappears when the originator
> loses interest.
>
> On 12/4/2012 11:08 AM, Ross Singer wrote:
>> Shaun, I think you missed my point.
>>
>> Our Drupal (and per Tom's reply, Wordpress -- ...and I'm going to
>> take a stab in the dark and throw MediaWiki instance into the pile)
>> is, for all intents and purposes, unmaintained because we have no in
>> charge of maintaining it.  Oregon State hosts it, but that's it.
>>
>> Every year, every year, somebody proposes we ditch the diebold-o-tron
>> for "something else" (Drupal modules, mediawiki plugins, OCS, ... and
>> most recently Easy Chair), yet nobody has ever bothered to do
>> anything besides send an email of what we should use instead.
>> Because that requires work and commitment.
>>
>> What I'm saying is, we don't have any central organization, and thus
>> we have no real sustainable way to implement locally hosted services.
>> The Drupal instance, the diebold-o-tron (and maybe Mediawiki) are
>> legacies from when several of us ran a shared server in a colocation
>> facility.  We had skin in the game.  And then our server got hacked
> [...]

voice: 609.258.1698 | [log in to unmask]