We've looked at OJS in the past and not been happy with it, we're pretty
happy with WordPress, and not really looking to migrate all our
operations to different software.

But thanks for the suggestion.

(I do think there are probably ways we could keep using WP without a
custom codebase, which I personally would prefer, but it's all tradeoffs.).