That makes sense, but I predict that if you create such a channel, even
if the intention is for training (in recognition that many women are
more comfortable training in a single gender environment, as kcoyle
says) -- people (mainly women people) will end up 'hanging out' in there
instead of in #code4lib, resulting in fewer women hanging out in #code4lib.

Which I guess you could think is a fine thing, or could think is an
unfortunate thing. I agree with royt that it would be an unfortunate
thing, for a bunch of different reasons.

Of course, like most any other project or venue of code4lib, we don't
all need to agree on this, and no approval needs to be had -- if someone
wants to create an IRC channel for 'code4lib women' or something, they
can do so on freenode.

But I agree with royt it'd be unfortunate. If the intent really is just
for 'training', then maybe call it #code4lib_learning_irc or something,
to try and reduce the chances of it vacuuming women's participation out
of main #code4lib, even if that wasn't the original intent.