Hi Wendy,

The typical train of thought is that your IRC nick is the same one you would apply in other social spheres. Since most people know me from Twitter, and my nick there is @pnkrcklibrarian, for this particular IRC server, that is what I went with.  A good rule of thumb is to be consistent across various networks that you interact on so that people can follow you. You can also choose to anonymize yourself by choosing a nick that best represents something you're interested in or identify with that is not used on other social spheres. It really is completely up to you on what you feel most comfortable with and there is typically no hard/fast rules.

If you decide you'll be hanging out on #libtechwomen a lot (or on irc.freenode.net in general), it might be a good idea to register your nick as explained here http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#userregistration because the short answer is, sometimes people are assholes.

A good primer on IRC is available here http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html  You can download/install a client OR you can connect via the web (http://webchat.freenode.net/) if you so choose.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact me off list. I'll be more than happy to help!

Best,
Lisa

--
Lisa M. Rabey, MA, MLIS