When I worked as an entertainment production manager, my internal
motto was "Sure $25 isn't important, unless it is my $25." People who
sell stuff (and offer jobs) like to perpetuate the myth that
negotiating is déclassé.

I learned to negotiate when, an early teen, I watched my dad buy a
car, and instinctively realized that he was overpaying. From 15 to 20,
I bought all the cars in my family. My essential approach to
negotiating is that you should never try to think for the other side.
That is on them. They know what they need from a deal. When they start
explaining to you what they need from a deal, they are, in all
likelihood, lying. Once you start considering factors outside of the
deal, you have lost.

Informed H.R. managers know that employees who aren't getting what
they think they are worth are unhappy employees. Those managers will
know how to value talent and decide where to draw the line. They will
not try to convince someone to take a job beneath their self-value,
because they understand that, while it might look good on paper, it
won't end well.

I have no idea if there is a gender gap in negotiating. If there is,
lets kill it. Maybe we should start negotiate4lib.

Cary

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company