On 12/19/12 3:32 PM, Cary Gordon wrote:

> I have no idea if there is a gender gap in negotiating. If there is,
> lets kill it. Maybe we should start negotiate4lib.

 From the NYT article:

" Research by the Harvard senior lecturer Hanna Riley Bowles
<http://www.pon.harvard.edu/faculty/hannah-riley-bowles-2/> and others
has found that women who negotiate are considered pushy and less likable
— and, in some cases, less likely to be offered jobs as a result. "

" In one study, from Professor Babcock at Carnegie Mellon, men and women
asked for raises using identical scripts. People liked the men’s style.
But the women were branded as aggressive — unless they gave a smile
while they asked, or appeared warm and friendly. In other words, they
conformed to feminine stereotypes. "

pushy, less likable, not offered the job -- that's a gap, all right!

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net