There's an interesting thread going on around code4lib study groups for a given MOOC (or, presumably, other kinds of online training).

I am currently attempting to educate myself in the subject of how to design, build, and maintain a spatial data infrastructure for a library[1]. This will serve out our local GIS resources, enabling them to be incorporated into online mapping programs. I know that this is something that many academic libraries are going to have to tackle eventually. Luckily there are some great open source tools out there for tackling this job, but unluckily there is not a lot of training that I have been able to find.

I have uncovered one online course that looks pretty good: http://www.geospatialtraining.com/index.php?option=com_catalog&view=node&id=71%3Aopen-source-gis-bootcamp&Itemid=108

I signed up, but I haven't got very far yet. I wonder if having code4lib collaborators would help? If anyone else is undertaking a project like this and would like to form a support / study group, please let me know.

Cheers,
Bess

[1]We are also hiring a GIS developer: http://goo.gl/PURkZ