On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> While I agree with ross in general about suggesting technical solutions without suggesting how they are going to be maintained -- agree very strongly -- and would further re-emphasize that it's improtant to remember that ALL software installations are "living organisms" (Ranganthan represent!), and need ongoing labor not just initial install labor....
>
> I don't agree with the conclusion that the _only_ way to do this is with a "central organization" or "my organization which has shown
> commitment through z"
>
> I think it IS possible to run things sustainably with volunteer decentralized not-formal-organization labor.
>
> But my experience shows that it _isn't_ likely to work with ONE PERSON volunteering.  It IS more likely to work with an actual defined collective, which feels collective responsibility for replacing individual members when they leave and maintaining it's collective persistence.

FWIW, this is more what I meant (although stated much better).  That is, a clearly defined plan, with a group that is dedicated to the ongoing maintenance of said plan.

The journal is a good example of this.

On the other hand, a non-distributed approach (see: OSU's commitment with Drupal and Mediawiki) is also fine, as long as the institutional commitment is there.

-Ross.