I just want to say BIG thanks to Rosalyn for running this survey and putting together the summary for all of us to view.

The most interesting part to me was that 22 % (female) and 14. 8 % (male) of people bothered to take the survey even though they identified themselves as not a member of the community.  Wondering what that really means...

~Bohyun

From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Becky Yoose [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Gender Survey Summary and Results

<delurking from all the gender-related threads>

That was my understanding as well.

I would at least like to see the limitations of the survey addressed in the
document, such as response and selection biases, at least for those folks
who may not be familiar with the existence of such biases.

Interesting numbers, yes. Statistically significant? I think the biases
need to be considered for answering this one.

</delurk>

Thanks,
Becky, survey non-respondent

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hmm, it's quite possible you know more about statistics than me, but...
>
> Usually equations for calculating confidence level are based on the
> assumption of a random sample, not a volunteering self-selected sample.
>
> If you have a self-selected sample, then the equations for "how likely is
> this to be a fluke" are only accurate if your self-selected sample is
> representative; and there aren't really any equations that can tell you how
> likely your self-selected sample is to be representative, it depends on the
> circumstances (which is why for the statistical equations to be completely
> valid, you need a random sample).
>
> Is my understanding.
>

> On 12/5/2012 2:18 PM, Rosalyn Metz wrote:
>
>> Ross,
>>
>> I totally get what you're saying, I thought of all of that too, but
>> according to everything I was reading through, the likelihood that the
>> survey's results are a fluke is extremely low.  Its actually the reason I
>> put information in the write up about the sample size (378), population
>> size (2,250), response rate (16.8%), confidence level (95%), and
>> confidence
>> interval (+/- 4.6%).
>>
>> Rosalyn
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks, Rosalyn for setting this up and compiling the results!
>>>
>>> While it doesn't change my default position, "yes we need more diversity
>>> among Code4lib presenters!", I'm not sure, statistically speaking, that
>>> you
>>> can draw the conclusions you have based on the sample size, especially
>>> given the survey's topic (note, I am not saying that women aren't
>>> underrepresented in the Code4lib program).
>>>
>>> If 83% of the mailing didn't respond, we simply know nothing about their
>>> demographics.  They could be 95% male, they could be 99% female, we have
>>> no
>>> idea.  I think it is safe to say that the breakdown of the 16% is