I second this, in its entirety.

Michele

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roy Tennant
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Gender Survey Summary and Results

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Rosalyn Metz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Karen had the idea of creating a women Code4Lib IRC channel, maybe
> that can be a place to start.

I understand the motivation to create a "safe space" for women, but please let's not do this. "Separate but equal" has never been shown to make progress toward equality, and I doubt this situation would be any different. I believe it would instead make things worse, by balkanizing the community rather than encouraging good behavior within a unified group. In other words, the solution will never be reached without active participation by men.
Roy