Another "code fore-mother" was Ada Lovelace (who also had the
distinction of having Lord Byron as a father):

http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/adalovelace/

I've been doing the CS 101 course from Udacity with my 7 year old son,
where I just recently learned about Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper.
Grace Hopper was even on Letterman:

http://www.myvidster.com/video/425708/Grace_Hopper_on_Letterman

--
Andrew Darby