Thanks, Rosalyn for setting this up and compiling the results!

While it doesn't change my default position, "yes we need more diversity among Code4lib presenters!", I'm not sure, statistically speaking, that you can draw the conclusions you have based on the sample size, especially given the survey's topic (note, I am not saying that women aren't underrepresented in the Code4lib program).

If 83% of the mailing didn't respond, we simply know nothing about their demographics.  They could be 95% male, they could be 99% female, we have no idea.  I think it is safe to say that the breakdown of the 16% is probably biased towards females simply given the subject matter and the dialogue that surrounded it.  We simply cannot project that the mailing list is 57/42 from this, I don't think.

What is interesting, however, is that the number roughly corresponds to the number of seats in the conference.  I think it would be interesting to see how this compares to the gender breakdown at the conference.

This doesn't diminish how awesome it is that you put this together, though.  Thanks, again to you and Karen!
-Ross.