"Open the pod bay doors please, Hal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIKBliboIo

I could be wrong on this guess however.
Dan

On Dec 6, 2012, at 3:25 PM, "Doran, Michael D" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I have come up with an unofficial Code4lib 2013 conference poster.  It was inspired by the recent discussions exploring ways to be more gender inclusive in our community, to "open up the door".

Although often unacknowledged, women have been coders since the beginning.  The photo is from the Computer History Museum website, which states "In 1952, mathematician Grace Hopper completed what is considered to be the first compiler, a program that allows a computer user to use English-like words instead of numbers." [1]  Props there!  The photo was actually taken in 1961 and shows Ms. Hopper in front of UNIVAC magnetic tape drives and holding a COBOL programming manual [2].

[cid:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>]

Bonus points for knowing additional reasons why "open up the door" is apropos.

-- Michael

[1] http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?year=1952

[2] http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102635875

Also see terms of use: http://www.computerhistory.org/terms/

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian

# University of Texas at Arlington

# 817-272-5326 office

# 817-688-1926 mobile

# [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

# http://rocky.uta.edu/doran/