The George Washington University Libraries serve as a vital and dynamic
resource for the George Washington University campus
community. We are looking for a software developer to join
our growing IT team. Our team works on digitization,
technology, and development; it comprises full-time staff responsible for
digitization operations, IT services, library systems, web development,
software development, and project management.

We are in the thick of all the things academic library IT groups are doing:
improving user experience across diverse services, mass reformatting
operations, developing new software and services for our community, and
working more and more with diverse data and digital
collections. We want to add somebody who will help us move
wisely and efficiently through our tasks and projects so we can focus together
on redefining the library as a platform for information access and services.

RESPONSIBILITIES

The dynamic individual to fill the Senior Software Developer position
will:

  * Lead development or be in a supporting role in a wide range of
collaborative software projects, from backend to frontend, using
multiple languages and frameworks, with scopes big and small, on short
deadlines and for ongoing projects.
  * Manage and support the full software lifecycle from requirements
to implementation, production support, enhancement, and maintenance.
  * Implement and support craftsmanlike practices to help our team
work reliably and efficiently together, whether it's code style,
testing, managing issues and iterations, deployment strategies, or
documentation.
  * Mentor colleagues in technical work, and be receptive to training
and mentoring in aspects of running a library outside of your
expertise.
  * Represent the library and the services our team provides on
campus, with faculty, researchers, students, and non-technical library
staff, and in the international library community.
  * Find new tools and techniques that help us innovate in and improve
upon all of the above, but know when to stick with what you know.
The Senior Software Developer will report to the Director of Scholarly
Technology.

BASIC QUALIFICATIONS

  * Master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited library
program, or a master's or terminal degree in a related information
technology field, such as Computer Science (CS), Management of
Information Systems (MIS), or Information Management.
  * Four years post-bachelor's experience as a full-time software
developer working on the full software lifecycle, both as a solo coder
and as a part of, and technical lead on, larger teams.

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  * Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, and supporting
all aspects of software systems using two or more of Python, Ruby,
Perl, or PHP, and comfort working with languages that are not your
strongest.
  * Demonstrated experience with a variety of database environments
(RDBMS/SQL and others) and with information retrieval systems like
Lucene/Solr.
  * Demonstrated experience with Unix system administration in
development, test, and production environments.
  * Demonstrated experience with and a preference for using free
software and open source development practices, but no objection to
using proprietary tools when appropriate.
  * Four years developing all aspects of web applications and a deep
knowledge of HTTP and web standards.
  * Five years working in libraries, archives, museums, or cultural
heritage organizations beyond the bachelor's degree.
  * Demonstrated experience working with information and data of all
shapes and sizes, from basic processing and transformation to
statistical analysis and visualization, in support of access and
research as well as just for fun.
  * Demonstrated experience working through hard problems and with big datasets.
  * Desire to automate routine tasks thoughtfully to enable colleagues
to perform their work more effectively.
  * Demonstrated experience improving user experience for users,
staff, and developers alike.
  * Demonstrated experience implementing and supporting production web
applications using Python and Django.
  * Demonstrated experience working with diverse forms of library and
special collections resource description data and strategies.
  * Demonstrated experience with a wide array of IT and library standards.
  * Demonstrated experience and preference for working as part of a
collaborating team, in a mix of lead, support, and backup roles.
  * Excellent communication skills, especially when discussing
technical work with non-technical people.

The University and department have a strong commitment to achieving diversity
among librarians and staff. We are particularly interested in receiving
applications from members of underrepresented groups and strongly encourage
women and persons of color to apply for this position.

Review Date: Review of applications will begin on January 7, 2013 and will
continue until the position is filled.

Application Procedure: Only complete applications will be
considered. Please follow the instructions for this posting
on the GWU Employment portal:

 https://www.gwu.jobs/postings/12663

The George Washington University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer.