I'll second Jason's Bluetooth recommendation. I was involved in a mapping
project in which we needed to gather barcodes from books at particular
locations in the stacks. We used this cordless
scanner<http://us.cipherlab.com/catalog.asp?CatID=8&SubcatID=11&ProdID=255>and
connected it via bluetooth to an iPhone.

Ron Gilmour
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library