Densho is a Seattle-based non-profit organization started in 1996, with the
initial goal of documenting oral histories from Japanese Americans who were
incarcerated during World War II. This evolved into a mission to educate,
preserve, collaborate and inspire action for equity. Densho uses digital
technology to preserve and make accessible primary source materials on the
World War II incarceration of Japanese Americans. We present these materials
and related resources for their historic value and as a means of exploring
issues of democracy, intolerance, wartime hysteria, civil rights and the
responsibilities of citizenship in our increasingly global society.

Job Description

Densho is seeking 1 or 2 interns to support our digital repository and
encyclopedia projects through the following activities: digitizing a variety
of materials (newspapers, photographs, documents, etc.), editing and
performing quality control on digital images, transcribing documents,
cataloging, cross-indexing materials and encyclopedia articles, and other
duties as needed.

This internship runs from March 2013 through August 2013 for 20-30 hours per
week at $12 per hour, no benefits.

Current students or recent graduates from library and information science or
archival studies programs preferred. The ideal candidates are self-directed,
detail-oriented, and comfortable with technology. Knowledge of Japanese
American history is welcome but not required. Funding for the internship comes
from the National Parks Service Japanese American Confinement Sites Grant
Program.

Apply

To apply for the position, please send your resume and cover letter to
caitlin.oiye(at)densho.org by Wednesday, February 13, 2013. All applications
will be held in confidence. All submissions and questions should be sent via
email - no phone inquiries please.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5718/