UW-Madison Libraries need a front-end developer. We pay
well, and we hold a lot of developer meetings lakeside with some of the
state's best beverages.

We're primarily a Ruby-on-Rails dev shop, with lots of interactive digital
collection focused work on the horizon. We'll likely stand
up Drupal this year and begin a major responsive re-design of the entire
library web presence. Feel free to contact me if you have
any questions.

Formal details below.

Cheers,

- Eric L.

- - - -

Required: minimum 1 year work experience in web and database programming;
experience with the web technologies (HTML, CSS, and a commonly used server-
side language such as Ruby, PHP, or Java); experience with application
development across its life cycle; experience working in a Unix or Linux web
server environment; excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication
skills.

Several of the following are desired: strong understanding of a design pattern
based code framework such as Ruby-on-Rails and ActiveRecord in Ruby or
comparable frameworks in Java, and of the underlying principles of object-
oriented design; strong experience with HTML5, common Javascript frameworks
such as jQuery and Backbone, CSS3 and CSS preprocessors such as Sassy CSS and
less.js, websockets, responsive web design frameworks such as Twitter
bootstrap; experience developing for mobile devices, particularly for the
mobile web; experience with content management systems such as Drupal;
familiarity with user experience design including usability best practices and
testing, and conformance with web accessibility requirements.

The developer will be responsible for new or revised software development
within the UW Madison General Library System including developing and
deploying new and existing web applications focusing on user experience, and
assisting in the design of infrastructure for the Libraries' online services.
S/He will participate in requirements gathering and application design teams
and will contribute to architectural design discussions. S/He will serve on a
team that is responsible for supporting and troubleshooting applications
running in production.

In addition to working with library staff, SDG developers are expected to work
closely with faculty, researchers, students, and the general public as an
active participant on a variety of task forces and project teams. There will
also be frequent interaction with the Division of Information Technology
(DoIT) staff as well as Campus/College/Department technical staff, faculty,
and vendors. The consultant will be expected to participate actively in
library and campus-wide committees.

The consultant will be part of the SDG team under the general direction of the
SDG Manager.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/5743/