Karen, yes, there is a procedure for dealing with speaking up:

// Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to
comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior,
organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning
the offender, expulsion from the Code4Lib event, or banning the offender
from a chatroom or mailing list. // [1]

It's easier to sense someone's discomfort in person.  But in IRC,
there's no way to tell and the issue can only be addressed if someone
speaks up.

[1]
https://github.com/code4lib/antiharassment-policy/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md

-Shaun

--
Shaun Ellis
User Interace Developer, Digital Initiatives